Correction to a citizenship certificate
The personal information on your Canadian citizenship certificate should be up to date based on your current official documents.
You should request to update or correct your citizenship certificate or card if:
- The information on your citizenship certificate or card is incorrect
- Legally you have changed your name, date of birth or gender (sex)
If you have changed your last name because of marriage, you don’t need to change your last name on your Canadian citizenship certificate.
To correct or update your Canadian citizenship certificate you should submit:
- An application for a replacement certificate
- A supplementary declaration explaining what correction you want to make on your Citizenship certificate or card
- A copy of your identification cards with your current information
- Legal documents regarding the changes
As of February 1, 2012, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada no longer issues wallet-sized citizenship cards (a card with photograph). Citizenship Canada has introduced a new citizenship certificate – a letter-sized document bearing no photograph. If your citizenship card is damaged or lost, you will receive a citizenship certificate instead. Like the previous plastic, wallet-sized citizenship card, the new citizenship certificate is a legal document that will be used to determine Canadian citizenship status.
A Canadian citizenship certificate is not a travel or identity document. To travel internationally you need a passport. You need your original Canadian citizenship certificate to apply for a Canadian passport.
We Can Help!
Applying to update or correct the information on your Canadian citizenship certificate can be complicated and challenging. A high number of applications are rejected due to application errors or missing documents. If your application is returned for correction, the process would be delayed by a minimum of three months.
We can help you to update or correct the information on your Canadian citizenship certificate without any stress and unnecessary delays. We ensure the process is done professionally, quickly and efficiently. We will assist you with:
- Filling out the proper forms,
- Helping with the preparation of required supporting documents,
- Identifying a qualified photographer that specializes in Canadian citizenship photo,
- Assessing your application, documents and citizenship photos prior to submission.
- Submitting your application on your behalf
- Acting as a liaison between our clients and government agencies, such as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Let our readily available Canadian Citizenship’s experts ensure that your Canadian Citizenship certificate correction application is done properly to avoid rejection, delays, hassles, and headaches. We’re here to help!